Look at the current 8 reviews:

in General Discussion
Zach Roth
Posted at 09/14/2011 06:44AM

We're pretty much hitting 8 very separate genres and sounds all at the same time right now. They may not all be rated so high, but they're there, and they're options. That's why I love this place.

Top Albums: 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 || Tumblr | Twitter

Bill Lohr
Posted at 09/14/2011 07:14AM

Agreed, man. 

Nicholas
Posted at 09/14/2011 08:31AM

Yeah, you won't hear any complaints from me. I think the variety has been just as good as ever. In fact, I'd say this is a more vaired time than usual. I mean how many metalcore reviews have we done lately? Definitely less than usual.

BlakeW
Posted at 09/14/2011 02:10PM

Clearly the site is still diverse, but I agree with Jeremy that the "indie" niche seems to be somewhat less pronounced than in times past. Although these days I tend to be more interested in the Pitchfork/Stereogum strain of "indie-pop," (a la St. Vincent, Girls, M83, Fleet Foxes etc.) rather than classic Ben/Adam-era Decoy bands like A Whisper in the Noise, Opus Dai or Aereogramme.

Just as a further frame of reference, here are a few of this year's releases that I wish Decoy had reviewed/covered:

The Strokes - Angles
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
James Blake - James Blake
The Weeknd - House of Balloons
Radiohead - King of Limbs
My Morning Jacket - Circuital
Death Cab - Codes and Keys
Arctic Monkeys - Suck It and See

Jake Oliver
Posted at 09/14/2011 05:35PM
Nicholas

Yeah, you won't hear any complaints from me. I think the variety has been just as good as ever. In fact, I'd say this is a more vaired time than usual. I mean how many metalcore reviews have we done lately? Definitely less than usual.

Just wait til some more of mine get posted haha

Zach Roth
Posted at 09/14/2011 06:33PM
BlakeW

Clearly the site is still diverse, but I agree with Jeremy that the "indie" niche seems to be somewhat less pronounced than in times past. Although these days I tend to be more interested in the Pitchfork/Stereogum strain of "indie-pop," (a la St. Vincent, Girls, M83, Fleet Foxes etc.) rather than classic Ben/Adam-era Decoy bands like A Whisper in the Noise, Opus Dai or Aereogramme.

Just as a further frame of reference, here are a few of this year's releases that I wish Decoy had reviewed/covered:

The Strokes - Angles
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
James Blake - James Blake
The Weeknd - House of Balloons
Radiohead - King of Limbs
My Morning Jacket - Circuital
Death Cab - Codes and Keys
Arctic Monkeys - Suck It and See

I was tossing around doing The Decemberists myself. We didn't get promo mats for it though, and I didn't have quite the same free reign over what I review as I do now.

And yeah, Bon Iver would've been good.

Top Albums: 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 || Tumblr | Twitter