Is iTunes really this awful?

in General Discussion
chinawhite
Posted at 06/30/2011 01:50PM
Is iTunes a big steaming pile of monkey turds for everyone or is it just me? I'm a Zune guy, but I downloaded iTunes to put some music on my dad's old school iPod he inherited.  It takes ages to sync. I can't add more than 30 songs at a time while it's syncing or it will freeze.  AND THEN the only way I can freaking terminate the process is to restart my computer.

Apple makes it way too difficult to sync music from a computer that's not the home computer.  And this is just opinion, but the layout and placement of options are ludicrous.

chinawhite
Posted at 06/30/2011 02:03PM
And now I keep getting an error when I try to sync Small Steps, Heavy Hooves. This is the reason Microsoft isn't making Zunes anymore??? I know consumer's as a whole are stupid, but c'mon. Sons of bitching Apple. I'm getting overworked, but damn this is frustrating.

Never mind, it's working better now. I'm only halfway through syncing one disc and it's only been 9 minutes.

Rick Gebhardt
Posted at 06/30/2011 02:13PM

Syncing an iPod on a windows machine is a BITCH. It 110% sucks ass. That's why I only stream music on my iPhone via Audiogalaxy. The only things I sync to my phone are podcasts. 

Find me EVERYWHERE:

MustangMan311
Posted at 06/30/2011 02:19PM

Never really got any of the iTunes hate. It could certainly run better overall, but the only thing that annoys me is that when you're upgrading it, it'll just close without warning and install the new software. No warning? No ask to install later? Fucking really?

chinawhite
Posted at 06/30/2011 02:22PM
I think 110% is an understatement.  I finally got iTunes completely closed without restarting my computer though.

I was going to buy my him a Zune, but then he got this for free. Are there any other good brands of players out there? I bet Creative still makes some decent ones.  I wonder if Zune's are on sale.

Nicholas
Posted at 06/30/2011 03:20PM

When my Zune 120 suffered death by nasty injury, I immediately purchased another one on EBay. It never even crossed my mind to replace it with an MP3 player from that filthy fruit company.

chinawhite
Posted at 06/30/2011 03:38PM
I'm still rocking an OG brown 30gb Zune. I love it, except for the weak storage.  I've given up on iTurds for today. I've only synced 3 or 4 discs in the last 45.

Zach Roth
Posted at 06/30/2011 03:48PM

Woop woop iPod user here. You know, I do hate how iTunes runs, but it's never actually irked me enough to actually do something about it. It took reading this for me to actually realize that I hate iTunes. That's some Apple voodoo right there.

Top Albums: 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 || Tumblr | Twitter

nicholasschmitt
Posted at 06/30/2011 03:50PM

I run iTunes on Windows XP and I've never had any problems. I don't sync, I choose the add music manually option seeing as I use two iPods. I've never had a problem with updates either, it always asks before installing or updating anything.

chinawhite
Posted at 06/30/2011 03:57PM

I run iTunes on Windows XP and I've never had any problems. I don't sync, I choose the add music manually option seeing as I use two iPods. I've never had a problem with updates either, it always asks before installing or updating anything.

32 or 64bit?

It wouldn't let me install the 32 bit software 'cause it recognized my 64 bit processor. I'm on 7.

matthias
Posted at 06/30/2011 07:26PM
chinawhite

I think 110% is an understatement.  I finally got iTunes completely closed without restarting my computer though.

I was going to buy my him a Zune, but then he got this for free. Are there any other good brands of players out there? I bet Creative still makes some decent ones.  I wonder if Zune's are on sale.

Yeah, creative still has some nice ones.  I have their zen x-fi 2 64 gig.  It's pretty nice, kinda glitchy and slow sometimes.  Volume can be kinda frustrating, but those aside, it's really nice.  Once you get the x-fi set the way you like it, it sounds great.  The software it comes with is shit though.

RAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Dylan Newell
Posted at 06/30/2011 08:28PM

try winamp for syncing, that's what i do on a 2nd gen ipod nano that i recently acquired.

i'm actually thinking about purchasing a zune hd finally...  they're way cheaper than ipod touches right now and bigger capacity.

last.fm/user/tragedyl0ve
twitter.com/1000cleverlines
1000cleverlines.tumblr.com

chinawhite
Posted at 06/30/2011 10:06PM
Thanks for the winamp idea. I was about to give up on the pod. I don't know much about the Zune hds, but the Zune software is awesome.

powell.ad
Posted at 07/01/2011 05:10AM

I've always used a Mac and iTunes is loooveerly. Though I do know Apple are mad keen on keeping users updated with software and hardware, so guessing using an old iPod on a PC with a not completely up to date version of iTunes could easily be a nightmare.

"If you want something done right, get a fucking Australian band to do it" - Chris Cheney

chinawhite
Posted at 07/01/2011 10:46AM
I thought winamp would be my savior, but when I sync with that I get "unexpected shutdowns".  Must be more the old player/new software/pc than just iTunes. But iTunes is still a big velociraptor turd.

jamoncito
Posted at 07/01/2011 12:00PM

Windows seems to be your problem. All of us using the software on a mac don't seem to have a problem.

buck09
Posted at 07/01/2011 01:27PM

I love itunes! I haven't used any other application to organize and sync my music. I have over 80 gigs that I regular add music to which I have added the whole 80 gigs to a new library seemlessly a number of times transferring back and forth between machines. I have a mac at home and a PC at work which I transfer music I download at work from itunes at work to my itunes at home and it is effortless. Runs awesome. I like how it analyses your library and gives you recommendations through the itunes store and has the genius feature which puts playlists together based on whats in your library from a chosen song. Never had any problems with it. Its figuring out how to manipulate it and how it stores its files that might get people frustrated. 

I agree with some of the others, i think you have a PC issue or the fact that its an old school ipod. But when you are set up properly its custom tailored for syncing music to an ipod or iphone.  

ryanetter
Posted at 07/01/2011 09:50PM

i wouldnt buy a mac if you paid me. but itunes works fine for me

buck09
Posted at 07/01/2011 10:40PM
chinawhite
nicholasschmitt

32 or 64bit?

It wouldn't let me install the 32 bit software 'cause it recognized my 64 bit processor. I'm on 7.

ryanetter

i wouldnt buy a mac if you paid me. but itunes works fine for me

We wouldn't pay you to wipe your poopy ass either.

And chinawhite, I run Windows 7 64 bit at work, itunes runs great, run an imac at home, runs even greater for what I use the home computer for. No problems with itunes. I can't compare though since I haven't tried these other platforms mentioned on here, but have a hard time believing they are as versatile as itunes.

Sonnambulanaut
Posted at 07/13/2011 01:42AM

I'm a major fan of the Zune HD, too bad they stopped making it, hopefully they're going to continue the spirit of Zune HD with a windows 8 music platform because the software on and off the Zune HD is flawless.

Note I said Zune HD. Not Zune. Yes, they are different.