Home Stereo Setup

in General Discussion
Rick Gebhardt
Posted at 03/14/2011 07:47PM

I was talking on Facebook with a friend of mine about my home stereo setup and was wondering what everyone here uses to listen to their music in their residence. I just got the last piece of my puzzle in place in my house today so the topic is fresh in my mind.  The way I have my house set up is as follows:

I have all of my music (500+gigs of it... yikes; getting to be out of control) housed on a 1TB drive connected to my home media server box.  This feeds my home stereo system through a Squeezebox Duet, as well as getting me access to any internet radio, Last.fm, Pandora, whatever. It's hooked into my HK 3390 receiver which powers all of the speakers in my house. In our bedroom, living room and garage we have pairs of Elan ME650W mounted in wall with their own individual volume controls. We then have pairs of Elan ME650C mounted in the ceiling of our kitchen, office, master bath, and loft, again, each with their own volume control. Finally, we have a pair of Boston Acoustic Voyager 5 series speakers mounted outside on our deck with their own volume control.

With the receiver always on and being sourced by the squeezebox receiver, and with each room having its own volume control, we simply have to take the squeezebox's wireless remote to any room to control what we listen to and control the volume with each room's own controls. It's a slick system and I'm so happy to finally have it all in place (just got the squeezebox on my doorstep today)! It's so wonderful to walk throughout the house and be able to continue listening seamlessly wherever you go.

Find me EVERYWHERE:

Zach Roth
Posted at 03/14/2011 08:22PM

$10 Logitech speakers and $20 JVC earbuds.

Top Albums: 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 || Tumblr | Twitter

Warrenwheel
Posted at 03/15/2011 09:14AM

That sounds pretty sweet, Rick.  Are you able to listen to multiple things in different parts of the house?  Could your wife be listening to Pandora in the bedroom and you to your digital MP3s in the living room?  Your whole system is wireless?  Thinking about how something like that would even work hurts my head.

I'm still renting (for another half year or so) so I don't have anything elaborate.  I have a Sony receiver which comes with a 5.1 home theater.  Connected to my receiver are my computer and my record player (among other things).  I've got a 1.5 TB external hard drive holding all of my digital music (only about 1/10 full), and I can do all the standard streaming services from my computer to my home theater speakers.  When I want to be somewhat quiet around the home, I listen through my pretty nice Shure earphones. 

Sort of unrelated, but being that you have a pretty huge library of music at home, have you heard of Audiogalaxy?  After installing some software on your computer, you can stream your home library from any computer (by logging into the audiogalaxy site) or mobile phone (by downloading the app).  On top of that, you can set it up to scrobble all tracks played to last.fm.  The win is that it is currently free to use and last I checked, the app was free to download.

Rick Gebhardt
Posted at 03/15/2011 09:39AM

Warren, you caught the one downside to the whole setup--you can only listen to one thing at a time. There is no way for me to listen to one thing in one room and have something else in another room. 

As for how the speakers are set up, they're all wired (no wireless speaker setup here) as the wiring was put into the house when it was built (along with the networking to every room). They are all wired to one area in our entertainment center where the receiver and Squeezebox are.

As for Audiogalaxy, I use it to access my music library on my iPhone. Works great. 

[Update]: If I get a chance, I'll grab some pictures and throw them up on flickr or something and put them here.

Find me EVERYWHERE:

Monk 0 Nuggets
Posted at 03/15/2011 10:17AM

Rick, that sounds like a pretty slick setup! I still rent as well, so I don't have anything traversing the whole apartment, but my setup isn't bad. I've got everything hooked up through my Marantz SR5005 receiver. Input into that is my Blu-ray player, which I use to play CDs, watch movies and stream Pandora radio, and my Thorens TD-295mkIIIturntable (the link is to the new model of mine). Outputting from the receiver are 5 Axiom Audio speakers; 2 M60 front mains, 2 M22 rearspeakersand a VP100 center speaker. The receiver has a direct line in for an Ipod as well. You've got me kind of curious about that Squeeze Box deally.

Monk 0 Nuggets
Posted at 03/16/2011 10:02AM

I'm moving this weekend, but when its all set back up I'll take some pics.

MustangMan311
Posted at 03/16/2011 11:43AM

My (sloppy) dorm room set up. Two KRK Rokit 5s powered by a PreSonus Audiobox. Nothing too fancy, but I really love the speakers. For headphones I use Sennheiser HD 220s.

Monk 0 Nuggets
Posted at 03/17/2011 01:19PM

That is a pretty nice little setup for a dorm. I bet your neighbors hate you.

Rick Gebhardt
Posted at 03/24/2011 12:51PM

Here's some pics of the speakers as installed in various rooms in our house.

This is our bedroom with the speakers mounted in the upper section of the wall:

In my office the speakers are ceiling mounted:

In our kitchen/informal dining room the speakers are again in the ceiling in the rows of lights, to not stick out too much:

In our living room, there's speakers in the wall on either side of the room opening:

Here's our bathroom with the speakers mounted above the jacuzzi, for listening to death metal while relaxing after a run:

This is the upstairs loft with speakers in the ceiling again (picture kind of sucks...):

Here's the speakers on the outside of the house above the deck:

Lastly, a pair mounted in the wall of the garage so I can crank some AC/DC while I pretend to know shit about cars:

Find me EVERYWHERE:

Zach Roth
Posted at 03/24/2011 01:24PM

Sweet swords bro.

Top Albums: 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 || Tumblr | Twitter

MustangMan311
Posted at 03/24/2011 04:23PM
Jordan Smith
That is a pretty nice little setup for a dorm. I bet your neighbors hate you.

More than you know. I think we've had four noise complaints so far. Zero fucks given.