"underground" pro bands

in General Discussion
ZeroDown
Posted at 02/19/2011 04:46AM

who do you think are among the least known bands that are able to be professional musicians? that is, to not have to have any type of side job, their band makes enough money to support all members.

i know the guys from Broadway Calls didn't work in 2009 but they all have part-time jobs when they're not touring and i know Silverstein makes enough to be comfortable and not have real jobs. above all else i'm curious about how "big" you have to be before you can let music be your career.

--FTTW--

Rick Gebhardt
Posted at 02/19/2011 06:39AM

It's an interesting question.  I think you also have to evaluate what type of income you want to be bringing in. Do you want to make just enough to get by?  Do you want to have enough to pay a mortgage, car payments, and other expenses?  I'm guessing a lot of bands that we cover don't make tons of money and just get by, but do it because they either love what they do or hope to break it big someday.

Find me EVERYWHERE:

ZeroDown
Posted at 02/21/2011 06:25AM
agreed. i would venture a guess that most smaller bands with a real passion for their music only want to make enough money to break even on full tour/recording costs with enough money leftover to buy food, clothes and a few luxuries here and there. keep in mind that i'm sure most full time tourers don't have rent to pay or car payments to make either, so that helps a little bit. i've always wondered about something the opposite way' one hit wonders, for instance. especially these days without the luxury of big advance contracts from labels, i wonder if you could theoretically turn the cash from one relatively major hit into an investment portfolio that can float you for the rest of your life. how much do you need at this point in one lump sum to keep you good for a lifetime; two million? more?

--FTTW--

Sonnambulanaut
Posted at 03/25/2011 01:51PM

I'd say Zao is one of those underground bands, considering:

1. How long they've been around
2. How little people know them
3. How influential they were/are

They all have real jobs except really their current drummer who is a full time musician and real is subjective here, Dan (singer) owns his own tattoo shop for example and they barely tour these days and do all their recording for free.